Saturday, 9 April 2016


A Plaster Bust of Lord Mansfield
at the Hurd Library.
Hartlebury Castle, Worcestrshire.
 
 
 
Plaster bust of William Murray, Lord Mansfield.
At the Hurd Library, Hartlebury Worcestershire. 
 
Probably after the original by Rysbrack of at Scone Palace.
 
 
 
The Hurd Library, housed in the former Bishop’s Palace at Hartlebury Castle, Worcestershire, is an outstanding survival of the Age of Enlightenment. Founded in 1782 by Richard Hurd, Bishop of Worcester from 1781-1808, it is the only example of an Anglican bishop’s library remaining on its original shelves in the room built for it.  It holds the collections of four men: Alexander Pope (1688-1744), Ralph Allen (1693-1764), William Warburton (1698-1779) and Hurd himself.
 
Text and image from Hurd Library Blog -
 
________________________________________
 
 
 
Lord Mansfield by Nollekens at Kenwood House.
 
The bust by Nollekens of the eminent judge is at the Iveagh Bequest, Kenwood, and a replica at Belvoir Castle. Both are dated 1779.
 
______________________________
 
 
 
 
 
 
Athenaeum Club Plaster bust of Lord Mansfield
Supplied by Pietro Sarti in 1830
 
 The present plaster is a cast from another bust by Nollekens, undated but certainly authentic, at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, which has slightly different drapery. J T Smith wrote that the moulds of Nollekens’s busts of Johnson (No 4) and Mansfield were sold in 1823 to James Deville, plaster worker and phrenologist in The Strand, and Sarti may have used the same moulds.
 
 
_______________________________________
 
 
 
Wax of Lord Mansfield by Isaac Gosset
Hurd Library.
 
 
 
 
Wax Portrait Reliefs of 'Mrs. Anth. Stewart Edin. 1795, Tassie F.'
and of William Murray by Tassie
in Frames 12 x 9 cms
impressed on the truncation
'Uni Aequus Virtuti Edin. 1770'
Sold Dominic Winter Salerooms
15 October 2015.
 
 

Alexander Pope by Jonathan Richardson

 
A Portrait of Alexander Pope
by Jonathan Richardson.
 
 
Alexander Pope
Oil on Canvas
c.1736.
76.5 x 63.2 cm.
 
Provenance - By 1807, Francis Rawdon-Hastings (b. 1754 - d. 1826), 1st Marquess of Hastings, Donington Park, Leicestershire, England [see note 1]; until 1869, passed by descent within the family at Donington Park; February 25, 1869, Marquis of Hastings sale, Phillips, London, lot 84, sold for £47.50 to Henry Graves, London; 1869, sold by Graves to James T. Fields (b. 1817 - d. 1881), Boston [see note 2]; to his widow, Annie Adams Fields (b. 1834 - d. 1915), Boston; 1915, to the estate of Mrs. Fields [see note 3]; 1924, gift of Dr. Zabdiel B. Adams, residuary legatee under the will of Mrs. Fields, to the MFA. (Accession Date: February 7, 1924)
 
NOTES: [1] First recorded at Donington Park by John Britton, Beauties of England and Wales, vol. 9 (London, 1807), p. 400. [2] James T. Fields, Yesterdays with Authors (Boston, 1871), p. 4. According to Fields, the portrait had been "painted from life by Richardson for the Earl of Burlington." [3] First lent to the MFA by the estate of Annie Fields, February 5, 1915.
 
Image and text from -
Museum of Fine Art Boston