Sunday 31 July 2016

George I, an Ivory Bust by David Le Marchand

 
An Exceptionally Large Ivory Bust of George I.
David le Marchand (1674 - 1726).
 
Circa 1714.
Victoria and Albert Museum.
 
Inscribed 'Le Marchand ad Viv. Scul.'
Height: 37.5 cm whole, Height: 25 cm bust alone, Height: 13.5 cm pedestal
Bought from Alfred Spero for £175, 12A Regent Street, London, in 1931. Previously sold Waring and Gillow, 26 October 1920, lot 1075 ('a unique contemporary carved bust of Louis XVI...on ebonised pedestal').
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Portrait medallion of George I (1660-1727) by David le Marchand (1674-1726); carved in ivory; signature; oval plaque on back.
 
George I
Ivory relief by David le Marchand
ad vivum
British Museum.
 
 
___________________________
 
 
 
Wax portrait of George I
Probably Isaac Gosset
Victoria and Albert Museum.
 
_____________________________
 
 
Portrait of George I, King of England, almost half-length, head turned to the left, with long wig, armour, sash and cloak, in oval with below a lettered cartouche and regalia at right Etching and engraving
 
 
Portrait of George I.
Engraving by Pieter van Gunst.
Published by Marrebeeck.
Dutch
Early Eighteenth Century
570 x 420 mm.
British Museum.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment